Friday, October 30, 2009

Oil = life, long life.

Oil: life blood.
An engine is metal or alloy, be it aluminum or iron it is metal, and most of the internal parts of the engine move, and they move by little explosions of fuel. So there is this interesting mix of metal bits moving in the engine block that holds it all together, with bolts and such. So oil, is the, lubricate that keeps all of these bits from slamming together in a tango of metal on metal fury. Metal on metal at any speed is not something you want. Think of a door you have opened somewhere in your life, that squeaks, wonderful ear piercing noise isn’t it? That is just a light weight door! No exploding fuel added, just a door rubbing on the same piece of metal every time you move the door, it rubs the hinge together, creating a friction. In that friction the noise is generated along with heat. Now make that door open 3 to 4000 times a minute, now add fire. The hinge would wear out right? It would get hot and wear out and be of no use.
Same with an engine, if you neglect the proper oil change intervals and neglect oil all together, eventually the little metal bits in the engine are going to meet each other without that little film of oil between them in a very violent and catastrophic way.
Most cars these days call for a 5000 to 7500 mile oil change intervals, most auto shops will tell you 3000 as will most oil product companies. While I am not an expert, my personal studies have shown that the automotive manufactures know their cars better than the oil companies, and they don’t stand to make much money on your oil changes, so I would go with what your owners manual says is the best for your automobile.

4 comments:

Amy Lou said...

I always thought 3000 would help keep it "healthier" but I'm no car expert. Thanks, now I don't have to feel like I'm neglecting my car:)

Jimmy J said...

I have studied up on oil.. Oil doesn't "loose" its viscocity.. ever really. It turns darker not because its dirty but because it gets Friggn hot in the engine.. but the lubricating features remain.
I vote synthetic everytime. Dino lube will do well too.

Zachary R. said...

You make me feel guilty for not checking the oil in our lawn mower!!! Maybe I'd better check it more often! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound (or gallon) of cure. :)

Mom said...

Okay - it sure helps to know what will happen if I DON'T do the oil changes. It is obviously very important, which I've always known, but I really wasn't so sure why. The analogy of the door hinge functioning 3000 times a minute without lubrication did it for me. Thank you!