Wednesday, October 7, 2009

This point A to B thing we keep talking about..

I feel like this about point A to point B drivers: if a person truly honestly didn’t care about a car for any other reason than getting them from point a to point b (and for no other reason) well then they would purchase the very first car they saw without even checking the tires. Are there people out there that truly care that little?? Perhaps. Have they read this far into my topic? Perhaps. And if you’re one of them and still have, then by all means stay a while.. I like you all the same.

If you drive a car and think, “Well as long as it gets me from point A to point B I’m happy”, you’re lying to yourself. If that were the case you would probably care less about the car color or the number of doors, the gas mileage or the fact that it may not move out of its own way, due to a lack of power. People of the world lend me your ear, you do care, maybe not obsessively like I do, but you care a smidgen.

I mean think of it: if I thought only of getting somewhere, and this was always, truly, my ultimate goal in driving, I wouldn’t make sure I had leather for my bum to be comfortable or a sunroof for my need of open roof driving. We all do it - even if you drive a Corolla, a Prius or a Geo Metro, you do because it speaks to you. You feel like this is the car for you; you feel like it is what you wanted, needed, in order to get you point b yes, but to get you there the way you wanted to get there: miles per gallon, safety, looks, the feeling of driving it.

So now that you know you may like your car a bit… you may find yourself perplexed. It’s like me and football (American football) - I don’t’ like it. I feel it a waste of my time most of the time. It’s not even terribly athletic when you really think about it. You have a bunch very strong men, running for a good 30 seconds at the most , simply to stop, pick themselves up off of the turf walk somewhere and stand for 25 seconds while they decide what to do with the remainder of the goals set before them - not the most fun way to spend time to me. But on occasion I do like to watch a football game. Mainly with my dad It makes me feel like a kid again - dad going on and on about things I don’t’ understand, but none-the-less it’s bonding for us.

Owning a car may be like that for you, you may think, “well, I like it, but it isn’t’ my thing.” THAT’S OK! It doesn’t have to be, but you still have to use one. So start thinking of it as a tool, as a means. Thinking of it like that doesn’t mean you have to modify your car or make it different or put fancy rims on it to make it stand out. That isn’t what you’re after; you’re after the point B stuff, I know. You still take care of it right? You still want to get the best miles-per-gallon and the best life out of the car (or as some say, your “investment”).

So you and your car, you’re friends. You’re buddies. In this crazy world, it starts and takes you on your way and you in turn scratch its proverbial back every 6000 to 7000 miles by checking and changing its fluids, air up the tires and giving it a bath. Good for you, you just went from going only to B to C - Car’s aren’t scary, it’s the people that use them.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Well said. I agree 100%......I think! Personally, I like cars that have character and potential. A Prius is nice, it may have some character, but it doesn't have much potential, in my opinion. Now, a 370Z has LOTS of potential! AND it has a lot of character. Sadly, most of the cars I REALLY, REALLY like are (not surprisingly!) out of my price range.

Brandon said...

Here here! Except for the football part!

Becky said...

Well put! You are exactly right - I do think about my car this way. I remember a few cars that i absolutely DID NOT want- they just didn't feel right for me. I always thought car purchasing was mostly about being practical and objective, but ah hah! it really is subjective! Really!

Justin said...

I must say very well said, I personally am in love with cars. I've always been around them. To me there is nothing like taking sharp turns in my Corvette wit the AC on. Blasting down the track or cruising in my Big Block 69 Camaro. Nothing really beats the feel of a well done car, to me it's an extension of my personality. I could care less about a Prius or anything like it. I don't care for gas mileage, what matters to me is performance, handling and just the simple wow factor of those beautiful lines a well designed car delivers to the senses. I will always travel from A to B in something well appreciated.

QueenOana said...

ok, so I like cars all based on looks. i'm being honest here. what's cool though, is that every car i have liked based on looks has been a fantastic vehicle...according to the know it alls in car magazines...so, i guess that makes me a good match for this blog author. keep on trucking!