Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Learn to Love them.

Oh man I have neglected all .5 of my readers for so long! HA. I don't' have much to add to that. I have been thinking a ton about cars though as usual. I am finding the older I get the more patients I have to allow a car to become my friend instead of a tool for me to look cool, or get me somewhere looking cool. I am looking forward to saying some day, if it ever happens, yep the Audi used to not do that.. but it has 150k miles on it now so, I guess its OK.

My wife and I purchased a 1997 Ford Explorer 4x4 a few months back. 158,000 miles on it when we bought it (167k now).. it made all of the wrong noises, needed an realignment, tires, brakes, shocks, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter etc.. But I kept telling myself (and my wife) tons of miles can be had in this old wagon, if I can just spend some time with it. Now with all of these things, but the shocks, replaced and or tinkered (yes modifications by jmy) with it truly has the potential to become a long lasting relationship, I cannot wait to see how many miles we can pile on it. The engine purrs like a kitten being rubbed by a big warm hand.
To let you know how much I trust this Explorer, we recently drove it on a 2000+mile trip! Leaving the very comfortable pleasant to drive, low miles Audi in the garage for another day.
I am learning that vehicles ,when taken care of, can become a friend of the family.. not something you have to replace... well, prematurely anyway. :) Take care of them and they'll take care of you!!
Learn to love them.

1 comment:

QueenOana said...

So true...if people did take the time to really love and take care of their vehicles they wouldn't be buying new ones every 3-4 years...which means they'd save money. Although, there's some cray illusion that once a car is out of warranty it costs you too much money. Silly materialistic culture! :)